conclusive evidence, William H. Cutts was married about 1827 in England and
emigrated to America between 1838 and 1841 (based on where his
children had been born). It may be significant that his father,
William, died in England in 1841, giving him leave to go to America.
He was living in New Jersey in 1842, then in Connecticut between 1844
and 1851. His
last daughter, Hattie, was born in New York about 1852. At some point
moved back to Connecticut and died there in 1874. This is when some of
his married children moved to Wisconsin. Wilber F. Cutts moved
Unity, Clark County, Wisconsin between 1874 and 1875.
Kittery, Maine is where most of the first American "Cutts" family
settled upon coming from England. Much is written about this early
Cutts family, which included high social standing among the
Washington political establishment and the nation's founders through
Dolly Madison. A direct link to the Cutts family of Wisconsin is yet
to be established. Given that both families have roots in the same
area of England, it is very possible they are related.
Note: Items outlined below will be added in future as
previously displayed on Genealogy.com site (now defunct).
- Ancestors of Cutts (16 KB)
ancestors going back to Elizabeth WILDING of Tricehurst, Sussex,
England in year 1582.
- Cutts Descendants Tree (38 KB)
- Seven generations of CUTTS from 1760 Nottinghamshire, England to
families in eastern United States and Wisconsin.
- Unity, Wisconsin 1912 (77 KB)
- Looking southeast at
intersection of Hwy.13, and Hwy. P (left to right): 1) brick
building is Wm. Glamann's Forest Hotel (possibly owned by Rucks
family). Next is 2) Button and CUTTS Hardware store, 3) Unity
Mercantile Store, 4) Unity State Bank (said to been robbed and safe blown up
- Plat Map of Unity Township, Clark
Co., WI - 1880 (337 KB)
- Location of W.F. Curtiss [sic], (Wilber
F. Cutts) 80-acre farm in Township of Unity, Clark Co.,
WI. (Note much land then owned by Cornell University)
of Lydia TOWNER (wife of Wilber CUTTS) (421 KB)
- TOWNER family
dates back to 1636 in Paling, Sussex, England. The
PAGE family dates back to 1586 in Ticehurst, Sussex, England.
- Aerial photo of former W. F. Cutts farm Unity, Clark, WI (110 KB)
- Present day aerial photo of 80 acre parcel once
owned and farmed
by Wilber F. Cutts from ca. 1875 to some time after 1915. Section 12 in Unity Township, Clark Co., WI.
- Topographic map of former Cutts farm Unity, Clark, WI (138
- Compare this topographic map to the aerial photo of Cutts
farm parcel formerly located on King Road in the township of
Unity, Clark County, Wisconsin.
- Land Patent for
W. F. Cutts farm Unity, WI (141 KB)
- Document obtained on
January 15, 1884 for his homestead on the west half of the north
east quarter of section twelve in Unity township containing 80
- Helen Hederer and Eldred
Cutts Wedding (162 KB)
- Wedding was at the Green Grove parsonage
on Wednesday, August 14, 1935 at 2:00 P.M., Rev. M. C. Goetsch
read the marriage ceremony, Helen Hederer, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Henry Hederer of Colby, married Mr. Eldred Cutts, son of Mr.
and Mrs. Wm. Cutts of Unity.
- Little Sisters Debbie and Lynda
- From left: Debbie and sister Lynda. (ca. 1964)
- Helen Hederer and Eldred Cutts Wedding Group (126 KB)
- From left:
Herbert Hederer – groomsman (bride’s brother), Helen Hederer,
Eldred Cutts and Miss Marion Hederer – bridesmaid (relation
unknown). The bride was attired in a dress of blue with shaded
ostrich feathers, bridesmaid wore a dress of green. Bride’s
bouquet consisted of ferns and mixed flowers.
E. "Dick" Cutts - abt. 1964 (74 KB)
- Probably his college graduation photo
from about 1964. He would have been about 28 years old.
- Dick Cutts and colleagues (97 KB)
- Northern Nigeria Teacher
Education Project. Africa ca. August 1968.
- Wilber F. Cutts, headstone (137 KB)
- Wilber F. Cutts & Lydia (Towner) located
in Town of Brighton Municipal Cemetery, 1 mile east of Unity, WI
on Hwy. P, then 1 mile south on Pine Road.
- Cutts kids in
Canada (221 KB)
- William Arthur Cutts,
headstone (177 KB)
- W. Arthur "Art" Cutts 1872-1943, wife Lena H.
& son Adrian H. Cutts lie in the middle of Brighton Municipal
Cemetery, Brighton Township, Marathon Co., WI. (1 mile east of
- Lydia Cutts (nee Towner) - 30 Sep 1938 (134 KB)
- Born 30 Sep 1847 in Oxford, New Haven, Connecticut. Photo taken on
her birthday. Mostly like at home of son William Arthur Cutts in
- George W. Cutts, headstone (122 KB)
Municipal Cemetery, Brighton Township, Marathon County, WI.
Located next to his parents Wilber & Lydia at south end of cemetery.
- Lydia Cutts (nee Towner) four generations (153 KB)
- Son Wm.
Arthur (1872), Lydia (1847), grt-grandson Dick (1936) & grandson
Eldred Cutts (1913). Photo taken on her birthday. Mostly likely
at home of son William Arthur Cutts in Unity, WI - 30 Sep 1938.
Map showing plots in Town of Brighton Municipal
Cemetery (68 KB)
- Brighton Cemetery; Unity, Sec. 7, Brighton
Township, Marathon Co., WI. Directions from Unity; from Hwy 13-Turn
east by the Post Office on Cty RP, go one mile to Pine Rd., turn
south to cemetery, on the west side of the road in a grove of
Cutts Descendants from England (81 KB)
report goes back to Elinor Cutts born about 1780 in
Peter Heintz, obituary (1844 - 1919)
- Peter was, "...one of the old settlers of the town of
Hull, Marathon, Co., Wis." His daughter (Lena Heintz) married
William Arthur Cutts.
George W. Cutts, obituary (1869 –1888)
- Died from an accident in D.J. Spaulding's lumber mill at
Lydia E. Cutts, obituary (1847 –
1945) (10 KB)
- Lydia E. (Towner) Cutts, wife of Wilber F. Cutts of
Lena Cutts, obituary (1874 – 1951) (13 KB)
(Heintz) Cutts, wife of Wm. Arthur Cutts, daughter of the late Mr.
and Mrs. Peter Heintz, was born in Fond du Lac, WI. Moved to Unity,
WI at age 2, about 1876.
Lizzie Heintz, obituary (1850 -
1927) (9 KB)
- Lizzie (Brudette) Heintz, wife of Peter Heintz, was
born in Bavaria, Germany. Emigrated to Wisconsin at sixteen years
old, about 1866.
- Local History of Clark